I had forgotten to add some things about Selela from last blog post.
1) There were tons of animals that we saw there. The first time on our way there we saw giraffes just walking along the side of the road. We got to get out and get within fifty feet of them. It was so cool.
2) I got through a lot of reading in Selela. The campsite was so beautiful and lush- it just begged you to sit down and read. I got through three books in two weeks. I've started reading more nonfiction here and a lot of African historical fiction- it's fascinating to learn about new cultures, ideas, and customs.
3) Our first day there we attempted to go up the mountain (which marks the border to Ngorongoro Crater). It was completely unsuccessful. We got scratched up, and only got about halfway up before we had to turn around so we could be back before dark. But it was beautiful and we had a beautiful view. We could see Mt. Meru and Kilimanjaro and many of the mountains of The Rift Valley mountain range. All of Selela was spread out before us with herds of cows and goats dotting the plains.
4) Rachel and I had the tent that normally sleeps 4 people (and is probably meant for 5 or 6) to ourselves the first week. So we had a palace tent for a week- it was ridiculous how much space we had. We felt like we were being pampered.
5) The Selela campground had western style toilets (not squat toilets), another way in which we felt totally pampered.
6) In the market place at Selela (which was small and cheerful), I bought a pair of Maasai shoes for 2000 Tsh. They are made out of rubber car tires. They're interesting and mostly comfortable unless I do lots of walking in them.
That's all, I just wanted to mention those things and I think I had forgotten to mention them. Also, I was wrong about lonely planet- they do talk about guest houses a little bit, but only for certain locations in TZ (maybe they think the other ones are too dangerous?)
No comments:
Post a Comment